Ep. 25: Waller Newell on Putin and Tyranny
School of War • Apr 12, 2022
Waller Newell, Professor of Political Science and Philosophy at Carleton University, joins the show to discuss tyranny and tyrants—and Vladimir Putin in particular.
- 02:05 Introduction
- 03:43 Let's talk about Vladimir Putin
- 05:40 What is the Russian "Soul"?
- 07:19 Quote from "The Russian Idea"
- 08:40 Who was Nikolai Berdyaev?
- 09:54 Is Berdyaev an influence on Aleksandr Dugin?
- 11:05 The West has a hard time understanding non-economic motivations. Why?
- 13:06 Who is Aleksandr Dugin?
- 15:21 “Eurasian Nationalist Bolshevism”
- 16:55 Rehabilitating Stalin
- 18:40 Are we seeing a perpetuation of Tsarist Russia?
- 20:40 What is fascism?
- 22:35 The many types of tyranny
- 25:12 What kind of tyrant is Putin?
- 26:50 Why has millenarian tyranny appeared so relatively recently in history?
- 29:51 The relationship between liberalism and millenarian tyranny
- 31:25 The next ten years in Russia
- 34:00 Did Putin know what he was getting himself into in Ukraine?
- 35:36 The prospect of Russian and Chinese collaboration in the future
- 36:55 Who drives Chinese policy - Xi Jinping or the Chinese Communist Party?
- 38:56 Staying sane while studying tyrants
- 42:10 What should we be reading to better recognize hostile actors for what they are?