Andrew Roberts is a professor, author, and military historian. He's written or edited nearly 20 books, including biographies of Sir Winston Churchill and Napoleon, as well as his latest title, The Last King of America: The Misunderstood Reign of George III. Roberts is a visiting fellow at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University, and the War Studies Department at King’s College, London.
- 03:02- Introduction
- 04:05 - Why King George?
- 06:20 - How Britain wages war
- 13:39 - Party and class politics
- 15:44 - Britain's military strategy during the Revolutionary War
- 19:10 - Comparisons between the Revolution and World War II
- 20:30 - Fabian strategy in the Revolution
- 23:15 - George III's role in the War
- 25:52 - Forming new regiments
- 28:01 - What the British learn from their defeat
- 31:32 - Modern American portrayals of King George III
- 33:23 - Critiquing King George III's leadership and performance
Recorded September 17, 2021