Ep. 23: James Holmes on Sea Power
School of War • Mar 29, 2022
James Holmes, the J.C. Wylie Chair of Maritime Strategy at the Naval War College, joins the show to discuss sea power, the war in Ukraine, and the possibility of war in the Pacific
- 00:58 - Introduction
- 01:57 - Time spent considering Russia and the NATO alliance’s naval power
- 04:05 - Russian President Vladimir Putin’s grand strategy
- 05:35 - What does Ukraine mean to Putin?
- 06:58 - The Crimean War
- 10:32 - Closing the Bosporus
- 16:15 - Does the war end well for Putin?
- 21:28 - Zelensky’s survival
- 23:12 - Worst-case scenario for Putin
- 25:43 - What the outcome in Ukraine will mean for Taiwan
- 28:35 - China’s challenge in Taiwan
- 31:02 - How security concerns in the early American Republic influence China’s thinking
- 35:25 - Should the United States shift national security focus to Asia?