Ep 28: Wesley Morgan on Afghanistan
Wesley Morgan, journalist and author of The Hardest Place: The American Military Adrift in Afghanistan's Pech Valley, joins the show to discuss his experiences in the Pech Valley, one of Afghanistan’s most contested battlegrounds, and to talk about the U.S. counterinsurgency’s successes and failures. This episode is part 1 of 2.
- 02:52 Introduction
- 04:28 From Princeton to The Pech
- 07:25 The Age Dynamic
- 09:46 Fighting Styles In Helmand Province
- 12:42 The Episodic Nature Of Fighting In Afghanistan
- 13:42 The Terrain Of The Pech Valley
- 17:11 Seeking Bin Laden In Kunar
- 18:43 Kafiristan - Daniel Dravot’s Dream
- 20:27 Special Forces - A Tool For Every Task
- 24:21 The Role Of Seal Team Six and Delta Force
- 29:36 Seeking The Enemy
- 31:23 Who Was The Enemy In The Pech?
- 33:58 The Timber Mafia